Meet The Maker
HI, I'M MALY
Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I'm a HMong American fiber artist from Madison, WI, where I live with my partner of 8 years and our pet guppies.
MALYMADE is a passion project that started in 2017. Feeling unfulfilled with my day-to-day routine and poor work-life balance, I felt a calling to implement a change. While browsing the internet for new hobbies and skills to learn, I stumbled upon macrame fiber art and was immediately intrigued. With a dainty stick from my backyard and a spool of store-bought cord, I knotted my very first macrame wall hanging and never looked back.
I officially opened my online shop in 2018 and started running it full-time in 2022.
MY FIBER ART
The inspiration for much of my work comes from my HMong heritage, my creative journey, the weather/seasons, and current trends. I'm best known for my signature xauv-inspired macrame wall hangings, HMong heart fiber art, and wrapped wire spirit locks.
I work mainly with 100% OEKO-TEX certified cotton cord and enjoy both neutral/monochrome and moody/colorful palettes. Though infrequent, I also enjoy adding embellishments to my work such as sequins, beads, and ribbon.
- I’m an INFP personality type and Sagittarius.
- I love cheese and fruit combos. If you’re familiar with that strawberry cheese scene from Ratatouille - that’s me! My favorite dessert is strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
- I can pick up a lot of things with my “monkey toes” and my partner gets a huge kick out of it. Does that count as a special skill?
- Influenced by TRL and my older brother's CD collection, I wanted to be a singer growing up. I tried to write my own lyrics once but it was too embarrassing once I read them back.
- I have so many places on my traveling bucket list, but a couple of my top destinations are SE Asia (for the food and culture), and Ireland (for the rolling green hills).
Need to get in touch? Send me a message here.
I’m looking forward to expanding this space into different areas of my life. Sign-up for my mailing list to receive news on upcoming events and workshops, and follow me on Instagram at @malymade for first looks at new projects and other ramblings.